Office of Research and Development, NSYSU
Introduction Organization Regulations & Forms Research Link Publication Q&A NSYSU

MOST projects Q&A



 Q1: Interim reports are required for multi-year programs. Is it acceptable to submit an incomplete interim report if attending a conference overseas at the time? When should the final research report be submitted?

A: The system allows a reason for non-submission to be entered when submitting an interim report online. The interim report can be submitted online upon your return or together with the final research report up to three months after the project is concluded. 


Q2: If the project needs to be extended or changed, when should an application be made and what is the maximum length of extension?


1.      An application can be submitted using the teacher's account at the MOST website one week before the scheduled end of the project. After an online application has been submitted, print out a copy of the application. Have the application signed off by the project leader and head of the department then deliver it to this Office for submission to the MOST.

2.      In principle, projects may only be extended once and by up to one year. The MOST will not provide a separate grant for costs incurred during the extension. Project extensions of less than 3 months will not affect next year's project quota.


Q3: Under the new MOST system, can unused funds from the 1st year of multi-year research programs be rolled over to the 2nd year?

A: Under the new MOST system, unused funds from the 1st year can be rolled over to the 2nd year. The receipts must be filed in the same year and fall under the same assistance category. 


Q4: Can temporary workers for MOST projects be covered by Labor or National Health Insurance?

A: Temporary workers in MOST projects are paid by day so cannot be insured by Labor or National Health Insurance.


Q5: Can the research personnel budget of MOST projects be diverted to consumables, items and miscellaneous expenses?

A: The MOST assistance category "Operating Budget" covers 1. Personnel budget 2. Consumables, items and miscellaneous expenses. 3. The three above sub-categories can be adjusted by the researcher for the costs of overseas academics visiting Taiwan for international collaborative research projects.


Q6: Can MOST project grants for "Operating Budget", "Research Equipment Budget" and "Overseas Travel Budget" be shared?

A. If there is a deficit or surplus in the "Operational Budget", "Research Equipment Budget" or "Overseas Travel Budget", as long as the diverted amount does not exceed a set percentage of the original approved amount (inflow of 20%, outflow of 30%) then advance approval is not required from the MOST. Only the school's internal administrative approval is required. (For "Research Equipment Budget" and "Overseas Travel Budget", only the surplus funds after the expenditures have occurred may be used."


Q7: Can two projects purchase an instrument together and transfer its ownership between each other?

A: If two projects wish to purchase one instrument together, the instrument must have the same name in the approved equipment list for both projects. If one uses a different name then it must be changed (if the unit price for the item to be changed is under NT$300,000 then only internal school approval is necessary. If unit price exceeds NT$300,000 then MOST approval is required for the change). Ownership may not be transferred between the two projects.


Q8: Under the new MOST system for mult-year research projects, can unused funds from first year's approved operating, research equipment and overseas travel budgets be rolled over to the second year?

A: Unused funds from the first year's operating and research equipment budget can be rolled over to the second year. For the "Overseas Travel Budget" however, as the time of overseas travel will be different from the original project proposal a change application must be submitted. A "National Sun Yat-Sen University National Science Council Research Project Grant Change Application Form" must be submitted to apply for school approval. 


Q9: If a teacher has their parental leave approved by their employer but is also the project leader for a MOST funded research project, can the research project still continue? Alternatively, if they had applied for parental leave up to five years before the application deadline for their research project, can they provide their research results from up to seven years before the application deadline for evaluation? Can they still collect project leader payments and draw on project funds?


1. The project leader applying for parental leave is classified as unpaid leave so they no longer meet the criteria for MOST funding of research projects. They may therefore not collect project leader payments or draw on project funds. After taking the principle of gender mainstreaming and the need for the project leader to apply for childcare leave into consideration, we recommend that project leaders adopt the following measures:

(1) If the project leader applied for parental leave before the MOST approved the research grant, or after MOST has approved the research grant but the project has not yet commenced, they may submit an application with proof of leave attached to cancel the project or change the project start time to the end of their parental leave, date of return to their original position, or date of resumption of paid work. 

(2) If the project leader applies for parental leave after the start of the project, they may submit an application with proof of leave to extend the project deadline by 1 year. Where the parental leave is less than 1 year then the maximum project extension is 1 year. If the parental leave is more than 1 year then the maximum project extension is the length of the parental leave. They may then resume work on the project at the end of their parental leave, when they return to their original position or resumption of paid work.


2. If the project leader had applied for parental leave or maternity and parental leave up to 5 years before the application deadline for MOST research funding, they may like those who gave birth provide their research results from up to 7 years before the application deadline with their project application for evaluation. The relevant documentary proof should be included however.  


Q10: Under the new MOST system for multi-year research projects, can equipment for the 2nd and 3rd year be purchased in the 1st year?

A: Yes, with administrative approval. 


Q11: For MOST research projects, how many people and how many times per person can make claims be made for the entry or annual membership fees for domestic or international academic associations under the Operating Budget category? 

A: The project leader and 4 full-time/part-time assistances may each make 1 claim. 


Q12: Is it permitted for two research project to share the cost of purchasing large research equipment in different years?

A: It is permitted but the equipment must be listed in both projects' approved equipment list and their execution period must overlap as well.


Q13: Can different projects send the same student to participate in or attend international conferences?

A: Yes they can but the student must be a part-time assistant hired by the projects.


Q14: How to apply to hire post-doctorate research personnel when applying for a research grant at the end of December each year or for current projects?

A: An application can be submitted together with the research proposal at the end of December. If a suitable candidate is not available at the time application, "to be hired later" can be stated in the proposal. When a suitable candidate appears an application can then be submitted to the MOST. For the employment of post-doctorate research personnel and related information, please contact the Ms. Xiao-lin Chen at the Personnel Office on ext. 2046.


Address: No. 70, Lienhai Rd., Kaohsiung 80424, Taiwan, R.O.C.
Tel: +886-7-5252000 ext.2611    Fax: +886-7-5252601

Service Hours:8:30~17:30
 Office of Research and Development, National Sun Yat-sen University

 Campus Map & How to get to NSYSU